Wednesday, January 14, 2009

can you be jetlagged even if you dont leave the time zone?

For the most part every website automatically converts to spanish, which was expected. I arrived in Mexico two days ago. A lot of stimulus has been coming at me fast so its difficult to process it and make it succinct for amanda and kyle (the only two who appear to be reading this). The dorms are nice, no heat and no air, the shower gets so hot that the whole room is coated in water from the steam.

Most people that are studying abroad have a better proficiency at the spanish language than I and they tend to be a few years younger. There are generally two categories my fellow study abroad folks fall into. Either habitual travelers/study abroaders or people who for some reason out of the blue just decided to study abroad. Everyone has a more or less fascinating story that they are ready to tell in exchange for yours. It has been like a constant group interview where the interviewee rotates depending on whats happening and who initiates the interrogation.

I enjoy it all thoroughly and can all assume that I will continue to once I become more comfortable with the area and the language. This is by far the biggest city I've ever lived in but since we are at the university we are a microcosm of sorts.

I have found myself doing things that tend towards an onset of culture shock and poor language acquistion thus far but it should be deemed excusable because only study abroaders are here. The university does not commence full force until monday.

I ceased to be vegan yesterday and fear I will no longer have a propensity to claim the title any longer. To explain my thinking further I am attempting to experience as much as possible at a grassroots level. Since I no longer claim vegan does not mean I'll be eating pizza hut and burger king, both of which are present. I want to experience the cuisine possible while simultaneously doing what is best for my body and the world. It is a compromise, as are most things.

I have seen ethnic enclaves with more spanish present than here. Everyone speaks it and mostly just it here but the stores range from wal-mart to the italian coffee shop (a mexican cafe). anytime is coffee time.

6 comments:

  1. caitlin reads this too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am ok with you no longer being vegan. I am just happy you got to eat some good vegan goodies before you left.
    straight edge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm back in Minneapolis now, therefore back on the internet, therefore reading this and waiting for secrets on lj.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Also, it took me about 11 times to get the CAPTCHA thing right. I'm not a real human.

    ReplyDelete