Sunday, April 26, 2009

Sleeveless in the city

I bought a bike a month ago, which has since fallen apart on numerous occasions. Ive had to have the whole braking system replaced and Ive been forced to fiddle with Alfredo's tools to get it not to fall apart regularly. That being said biking along highways is legal here or at least allowed. It is best if you stay on the gravel shoulder but even if you dont people swerve around you. Some cut it quite close but I would rather rearend a biker than collide head on with a turnip truck. I can see where they are coming from.

Biking in the city is fine, running red lights is allowed as is weaving between cars to get up to the traffic light in order to run it. I had a woman come up to me while I was waiting at a busy light and talk nonsense (spanish) to me. Before she departed she placed her hand on my forearm. Ive come up with a whole slew of things she could have been saying to me, being the egotistical fuck that I am, I assume she was talkin about how much she liked my jersey and cut off shorts. Which doesnt make sense because she mentioned something about 35 years and 'no he visto.' Perhaps she hasnt seen anyone look so good in awhile. She was probably placing a hex on me.

The worst part of biking in the Puebla is public transportation. The buses weave in an out of the parking lane, where I bike, to pick up passengers. Their constant stop and go makes us go at comparable speeds and Ive almost pegged people leaving the bus multiple times. The situation was more grave when I didnt have brakes. Bus drivers also rarely use turn signals and cut across my path to make the flashing green lights. All in all, bus drivers are low down and dirty vatos; that is why I never shake their hands.

3 comments:

  1. Riding on the highways here is good, though I don't know what constitutes a highway. I don't know what the road that leads from here to Amana is, I know it's two lane and 55mph but does speed dictate classification? I'm not sure. People are pretty good about it, but a few times you'll get someone who tries to brush you. That's nice. I had that happen once when I rode with Cam and once when I rode with Andrew. It happens sometimes solo riding but I don't notice it so much because I don't have someone else talking to me about it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. you're probably going to be killed this summer.

    ReplyDelete
  3. if you even make it that long.

    ReplyDelete